SubjectRe: Adaptec/DPT I2O Option Omitted From Linux 2.6.0 Kernel Configuration Tool
Leon Toh wrote:
> At 11:15 AM 29/12/2003, Samuel Flory wrote:
>

> How broken is the driver than ? What are the implication's if the driver
> is left as it is for now ?

It doesn't compile at all. If it's not fixed your only other option
is the generic i2o driver.

>> It doesn't even compile in 2.4 for a number of archs like amd64.
>

> This driver was initially intended only for i386 arch. Furthermore at
> that time when this driver was finalized amd64 wasn't available.

My point is that the driver isn't very portable.

>> A while back a bunch of people (including myself) raised the
>> concern through various channels with adaptec. In theroy someone at
>> adaptec is working on it, but there was not an ETA.
>

> If you have happen to have a list of issues with this current driver
> together with supporting information to back up those claims, please
> forward them to so that I can escalate those issues into Adaptec via the
> appropriate communication channel. I happen to have a number of
> contact's within Adaptec myself.
>
> By the way I've hack the script file to make Adaptec I2O Option to
> appear in Linux 2.6.0 Kernel Configuration tool. Currently I'm now in
> the middle of recompiling the kernel using current dpti2o driver support
> but haven't got to the dpti2o driver yet.

You might want to hold off on doing a lot of work for a bit. I think
there was a beta driver that was being passed around.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.