    SubjectRe: DevFS vs. udev
    On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 03:07, Greg KH wrote:
    > On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 02:45:15AM +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
    > > Lastly, a small nit with udev currently - how long will it be for in
    > > kernel changes to be in place so that we do not need the 1sec delay?
    > > It really sucks when you use a script/whatever to populate /dev, and
    > > reboot quite frequent for new kernel/rc-script testing :)
    >
    > It's not a kernel change needed, it's a udev/libsysfs change needed. If
    > I didn't have to deal with devfs emails I would get a chance to work on
    > the issue some more :)

    Ah, cool - please post if you have something a bit before next udev
    release (no pressure), as we might get some extra testing done for you.

    > And yes, I have gotten tired of the boot issue too, just add a '&' after
    > the udev call in your init scripts and then everything seems to work
    > just fine (as far as speed of boot goes.)

    Right, but things needs to be synced for a lot of users, and I'll
    rather patch the 1sec out or wait with 010 then get 200 bug reports :)

    > But you do have to admit, Gentoo seems to have some pretty rabid users :)

    Same as the other guys (distro's) - they help us keep the rest in
    check :) But I still say its not us that started this *g*

    Cheers,

    --

    Martin Schlemmer
    Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:4.528 / U:0.140 seconds]