    From: linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org
    [mailto:linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Walt H
    Sent: den 21 december 2003 02:01
    To: Nicklas Bondesson
    Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
    Subject: Re: Error mounting root fs on 72:01 using Promise FastTrak TX2000
    (PDC20271)

    Nicklas Bondesson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Oh I forgot to say that i'm running RAID1 and it detects both drives
    > perfectly (I'm passing the IDE addresses to the kernel at boot time
    > from the lilo conf, see previous post). The system was reinstalled
    > yesterday with two brand new 80GB Western Digital disks
    > (WD800JB-00DUA3). The thing is, I have succesfully installed the
    > TX2000 card with the native ATARAID drivers before using two 30GB
    > Maxtor (something) disks and kernel 2.4-20 - 2.4.23. I wonder why I
    > can't get it up and running now. It will only work with the pre
    > compiled kernel shipped with Debian 3.0 (2.4.18-bf2.4). I have tried
    > all sorts of kernel settings. Since I have got it to work before I think
    should be able to do it again.

    > Please advise.
    >
    > /Nicke

    Hmmm. I'm pretty sure that the partitions are enumerated the same way in
    2.4.23 vs. 2.4.18. There was a change in the way IDE geometry was returned
    from the kernel that caused a hiccup in the pdcraid driver around 2.4.22 I
    think? My patch just tells the pdcraid to use an alternate method of
    finding the RAID superblock on each drive. Not sure what else might be the
    problem. Do you see the ataraid driver fire up (looking something like
    this):

    ataraid/d0: ataraid/d0p1
    Drive 0 is 239372 Mb (33 / 0)
    Drive 1 is 239372 Mb (34 / 0)
    Raid1 array consists of 2 drives.
    Promise Fasttrak(tm) Softwareraid driver for linux version 0.03beta

    The only problem I've recently come upon with pdcraid, is when it detects
    just one of the drives and fails. I didn't think that should happen with
    raid1 though.

    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:6.481 / U:0.008 seconds]