    Subjectinstall_modules (or) modules_install? (main README in 2.6.0 stable source)
    Date
    Hi,

    Regarding:

    Top level README in kernel 2.6.0 stable source

    (downloaded from kernel.org on 10-18-2003)

    In the last of the following five lines, 'install_modules' seem to me to be
    incorrect:

    To configure and build the kernel use:
    cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.N
    make O=/home/name/build/kernel menuconfig
    make O=/home/name/build/kernel
    sudo make O=/home/name/build/kernel install_modules install
    ____________________________________^

    Am I correct that
    install_modules
    should be
    module_install
    ?

    I tried both and the latter seems to work but the former not.

    Furthermore, I find the latter in two other parts of the README:

    make a backup of your modules directory before you
    do a "make modules_install".
    ____________________^

    and:

    - If you configured any of the parts of the kernel as `modules', you
    will have to do "make modules" followed by "make modules_install".

    Others like me will stumble on this. Who could update the README to correct
    this?

    No person is mentioned as author or maintainer of the README.

    Who should I send this feedback to?

    Thanks,

    Roger :-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:2.801 / U:0.008 seconds]