SubjectRe: IRQ disabled (SATA) on NForce2 and my theory
Ross Dickson wrote:

><snip>
>

>>It was most noticeable for the timer interrupt, because the timer
>>interrupt is basically always at "high load" and a lack of it would
>>result in a hard lockup of the board. However, it now seems like the
>>timer interrupt isn't the only interrupt suffering from this issue.
>>

>>, I think inserting the small delay in the appropriate IRQ
>>handler might fix this, too.
>>

>>But there's still the question, why the delay is actually needed for
>>NForce2 boards. That would basically mean that you'll have to
>>introduce the delay for *every* IRQ, to avoid a lockup of any device
>>that will do high load at some time. I bet that, if I put my Firewire
>>Card back in (or just use the onboard Firewire ports) and stream a
>>video from my DV cam onto the harddisk, it would lock up as well after
>>a very short time, since those who know DV also know that DV has a
>>very high bandwidth, half an hour of film is like 40GB or the
>>like. (However, I can't test this right now, because my DV cam is
>>currently not accessible)

I can't get usb or agp8 to work without crashing,
though ide onboard and on cards is stable. Might
be that delay on all interrupts is neededs.

>>So, we're still not "rock solid" with NForce2, I guess...
>>Any idea?
>>

>>Regards,
>>Julien
>>-
>>

>If it is a C1 disconnect reconnection as we suspect then it should affect all
>local apic interrupts so the following is the conservative approach which may help.
>
>here is one of many educated? guesswork posts on topic

>If you want to put the delay in all local apic irq acks then remove the delay code
>from apic.c and put it in
>
>/usr/src/linux-2.4.23-rd2/include/asm-i386/apic.h
>
>also needs to bring in delay.h
>
>I am trying it now for my patched 2.4.23 (it boots and runs OK so far) kern as
>follows but if it is really needed there then it would be better merged within
>the macro style of the bad ioapic selection code and given a kernel config
>selection mechanism.
>

>#ifndef __ASM_APIC_H
>#define __ASM_APIC_H
>
>#include <linux/config.h>
>#include <linux/pm.h>
>#include <asm/apicdef.h>
>#include <asm/system.h>
>#include <linux/delay.h>
>
><snip>
>
>static inline void ack_APIC_irq(void)
>{
>
>#if defined(CONFIG_MK7) && defined(CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD74XX)
> /*
> * on 2200XP & nforce2 chipset we need at least 500ns delay here
> * to stop lockups with udma100 drive. try to scale delay time
> * with cpu speed. Ross Dickson.
> */
> ndelay((cpu_khz >> 12)+200 ); /* don't ack too soon or hard lockup */
>#endif
>
> /*
> * ack_APIC_irq() actually gets compiled as a single instruction:
> * - a single rmw on Pentium/82489DX
> * - a single write on P6+ cores (CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC)
> * ... yummie.
> */
>
> /* Docs say use 0 for future compatibility */
> apic_write_around(APIC_EOI, 0);
>}
><snip>
>
>Also note I stuffed up the syntax of the original #ifdef, code still works but
>only tests the first param not both. The ifdef code should also be adjusted for
>the ioapic patch if it is to be used widely on other chipsets and processor types.
>Also others more familiar with the kernel build system could choose better
>config params to test against.
>
>Anyhow we are still flying blind so far as manufacturers comments on this
>topic.

...instead of sending nforce2 boards back saying they don't
work with linux, try using competitive jealousy between
Phoenix and Award, since Award has a bios update which
fixes the lockups(except usb and agp8 and maybe firewire).

>So maybe occasional lockups could be caused by this on other AMD cpu systems?
>I don't know.
>
>Don't forget to recompile & install modules given the inline code above.
>
>Please cc me as to how it goes if you try it.
>
>Regards
>Ross

Another clue to all of this is there is a delay for onboard
amd74xx and that never crashed for me, but offboard
promise and sii did, on fsck or grep etc. I'm hoping these
latest patches with debug=1 will give a clue what the
Award bios update does!

-Bob

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.022 / U:0.944 seconds]