SubjectRe: gettimeofday resolution seriously degraded in test9
Peter Chubb wrote:

> Stephen> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:07:45 +0100 Gabriel Paubert
> Stephen> <paubert@iram.es> wrote:
>
>>>for example.
>

> Stephen> The suggestion of using time interpolation (like ia64) would
> Stephen> make the discontinuities smaller, but still relying on fine
> Stephen> grain gettimeofday for controlling servo loops with NTP
> Stephen> running seems risky. Perhaps what you want to use is the
> Stephen> monotonic_clock which gives better resolution (nanoseconds)
> Stephen> and doesn't get hit by NTP.
>
> monotonic_clock:
> -- isn't implemented for most architectures
> -- even for X86 only works for some timing sources
> -- and for the most common case is variable rate because of
> power management functions changing the TSC clock rate.
>
> As far as I know, there isn't a constant-rate monotonic clock
> available at present for all architectures in the linux kernel. The
> nearest thing is scheduler_clock().

What you want is the POSIX clocks and timers CLOCK_MONOTONIC which is available
on all archs (as of 2.6). The call is:

cc [ flag ... ] file -lrt [ library ... ]

#include <time.h>

int clock_gettime(clockid_t which_clock, struct timespec *setting);

where you want "which_clock" to be CLOCK_MONOTONIC.

--
George Anzinger george@mvista.com