SubjectRe: Can't X be elemenated?
Helge Hafting wrote:
> kartikey bhatt wrote:
>
>> hey everyone who have joined this thread, my fundamental question have
>> got
>> out of scope. I mean to say
>>
>> 1. Kernel level support for graphics device drivers.
>> 2. On top of that, one can develop complete lightweight GUI.
>> 3. Maybe kernel can provide support for event handling.
>>
>> and I still stick to my opinion that graphics card is a computer resource
>> that needs to be managed by OS rather than 3rd party developers.
>

> The card is managed by the os - X has to ask the kernel nicely to get it.
> (Try starting another X server inside an xterm and see how
> that is refused.)

that has nothing to do with kernel. If you are running display 0 and
start another X (without specifying display, it default to 0) it doesn't
work since there cannot be two servers on same machine both being 0. You
can start another X server with different number (e.g. startx -- :1 or
whatever number is not used yet).

erik

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.103 / U:0.320 seconds]