    SubjectRe: Gauntlet Set NOW!
    On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 23:22:44 -0200 (BRST)
    Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> wrote:

    > On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Richard Stallman wrote:
    >
    > > I would rather look for constructive alternatives than just
    > > criticize. In such a situation, I would look for a way to make the
    > > program free.
    >
    > > If there is no easy way to make the same program free, there may be
    > > a harder way.
    >
    > There is of course the business model used by the ghostscript
    > people, used by tytso when he made resize2fs and also used by
    > Andre Hedrick:
    >
    > 1) write the software, sell it for a profit for some period
    > of time (eg. 18 months)
    >
    > 2) after that, release the program and its source code
    >
    > To the copyright holder, this has all the benefits of a strictly

    Seams to me like a perfectly good idea, infact I want to use that for a
    game i'm developing in my free time(wheter or not i finish this, is out
    of the scope of the discussion :)), once i'm done i'm going to see how
    much time i spent working on this. Then i'm going figure out a time
    period and ammount of money that would be *fair* conpensation. then i
    plan to release under a free licence (such as the GPL, haven't put a lot
    of though into that part quite yet), depending if I make the set ammount
    of money first or the set time passes buy (since chance are then i won't
    make my set goal :|). If people (not even me) can make money to put on a
    table this way, have a decent place to live, and have health insurance
    then this model can't be bad.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:2.504 / U:0.396 seconds]