SubjectRe: Why doesn't kernel store ICMP redirect in the routing tables?
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:36:30 +0900, Takeshi Kodama <kodama@flab.fujitsu.co.jp>  said:

> Is it no matter that it generates ICMP redirect every time flush the route ca
che?

> Please tell me why kernel has such a specification that doesn't store ICMP re
direct
> in the routing tables.

This is intentional behavior. Otherwise, if it were entered into the routing
table, it would remain there essentially permanently (unless forced out by
a 'route -f' command or perhaps another ICMP redirect). In general, if
your default router is telling you to go someplace else, one of two situations
applies:

1) This is a temporary condition caused by a router flap, in which case we
should only cache it, so later we will re-learn a better path.

2) The router is trying to tell you that you should be fixing your routing
table, either by adding static routes or running a full routing protocol.
--
Valdis Kletnieks
Computer Systems Senior Engineer

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.026 / U:0.216 seconds]