    SubjectRe: kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the 2.5 kernel - take 3
    > Along the same lines, we have James Bottomly attempting to  get
    > support for the NCR Voyager architecture added to the kernel. His
    > original submission post was sent 2001-12-23: http://
    > marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=100913508007485&w=2 The latest
    > submission attempt was sent 2002-05-11: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/
    > ?l=linux-kernel&m=102115570805131&w=2

    > It seems to me that adding a new architecture probably doesn't impact
    > the rest of the kernel much, so I am not sure way acceptance would be
    > so long delayed. I have noticed that there has been minimal feedback
    > to James, which he appears to have responded to quickly and well. I
    > tend to think that any tweaks needed could be accomplished as easily
    > once the code has been accepted into the kernel tree.

    > Is there some justification for the delay that I have somehow
    > overlooked?

    Actually, the major criticism was that a new architecture can't be wedged into
    the arch/i386 directory without changing an awful lot of critical files, which
    is true (and also undesirable from a QA standpoint).

    I addressed that by doing the i386 subarchitecture rework (which allows me to
    slide all the voyager stuff in to the side). However, that still does a
    hatchet job on arch/i386. There are also several other people working on
    related issues in arch/i386, so it has become a slow job. The current status
    is

    - PCI rework - In Linus Kernel
    - setup/cpu rework - in DJ kernel

    I get to wait until the setup/cpu rework makes it to the Linus kernel so I can
    slot in the arch subdivisions around it.

    James

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:2.820 / U:0.000 seconds]