    SubjectRe: VFS issues (was: Re: 2.5.5-pre1: mounting NTFS partitions -t VFAT)
    Hi Jos,

    > The first question I want answered: Should I just call myself stupid for
    > trying to mount NTFS as VFAT, or should we consider this a real issue that
    > needs fixing ?

    Stupid? No.
    Fixing? Yes.

    Whatever you throw at mount, you want it to fail_safe_. i.e. in the
    worst case, do nothing.

    > While mounting a partition, the vfs layer tries to determine the partition
    > type,

    Without any help, mount (userspace) tries to determine the partition
    type. It understands the magics of a LOT of filesystems.

    It looks for the NTFS magic before the DOS magic (or any of its variants).

    > and passes that info to the filesystem driver

    Which is passed to the VFS, and the to the driver which performs some
    more rigid tests (hopefully :-)

    Cheers,
    FlatCap (Rich)
    ntfs@flatcap.org

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:6.323 / U:0.084 seconds]