SubjectRe: Bug in block device read/write!
From
   Date: 	Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:41:27 +0100
From: Anton Altaparmakov <aia21@cam.ac.uk>

I have been trying to get the linear md driver to work with NTFS volumes
for several months and it never worked. - I was suspecting the NTFS driver
(after having fixed linear md and verified that at least that worked fine)
but today I finally found why it doesn't work:

There is a bug in reading/writing to block devices. - It manifests itself
in the form that partitions are too small by exactly one sector!

Even though a cfdisk shows that a partition has a certain number of
sectors, you can never seek + read and/or write to the last sector (doing
file i/o using read/write(2) [also tried fread/fwrite(3), same result]. -
Last sector doesn't seem to exist. However reading the actual hd (/dev/hdb
or /dev/sda, ie. affects both IDE and SCSI) instead of the partition
(/dev/hdb7 or whatever) the sector does exist and contains the expected
information!

This isn't a bug. The last sector is used by the md device to store the
md superblock.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.048 / U:1.640 seconds]