SubjectRe: VFAT fs bug report
In <AFC4OKzOeT@vda.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua> Denis Vlasenko (vda@vda.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua) wrote:
> Hi guys,

> I think I found a bug in VFAT filesystem.

Nope. It's not bug. It's [mis]feature.

> I wrote to maintainer (Gordon Chaffee, chaffee@cs.berkeley.edu)
> a week ago and there were no reply.

Of course.

> Maybe he's on vacation, I don't know. So I'm posting my message to
> linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> If it's wrong place to discuss such matters, please tell me so
> [and direct to the right place!]

More correct place will be linux-fsdevel@vger.rutgers.edu I suppose but
anyway...

> Since I am new to Linux and Unix in general, I will not try
> to write patches. I'll just describe what I have seen.

Hmm. Do you can READ ?

> I use RedHat Linux, my kernel version is 2.2.5.

Even if here it does not matter (2.2.17 does not have support for this
facility) usually it's not wise to use such an ancient kernel.

> I needed to work with filenames with Cyrillic letters.

Have you read vfat's ToDo ? Cyrillic letters with 2.2.x on VFAT partiton are
painfull.

> When I copied some files from VFAT to Linux partition (ext2 fs)
> and back, some of them become inaccessible.

As expected :-/ [Description of problem from VFAT's ToDo skipped]
-- /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/vfat.txt --
[skipped]
TODO
* When only shortnames exist, translate them from the codepage character
set to the iocharset. Currently, translations only occur when longnames
exist. To translate, first convert from codepage to Unicode and then
to the output character set.
[skipped]
- cut --
Hmm. Yes, here problem described like it's only vfat read problem but it's
easy to guess that if no translation happens on read there are no translation
of write as well.

> I'll be happy to test patches.

It's complex change. Thus it was not implemented for 2.2.

2.4 should work though (at least 2.3.36 already supported this).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.063 / U:0.048 seconds]