SubjectRe: [OT] Disgusting, completely disgusting
The www.linuxadvocacy.org FQDN is taken from the 'org' address
space and it is my understanding that '.org' names are for
_non_profit_ organizations. Clearly, someone who uses this
FQDN to redirect you to 'datahelpers.com' is doing so to increase
their company's profits.

I don't know the correct contact with the domain name registry
folks but perhaps we can point out this abuse of a domain name.
At a minimum, datahelpers should be admonished to not use the
name as a shortcut to their website and, perhaps, the name
could be stripped from datahelpers.com.

-Ben McCann

"Mike A. Harris" wrote:

> I believe the URL will tell all.
>
> http://www.linuxadvocacy.org
>
> This is simply disturbing me to no end. An outrageous and
> blatent abuse of the Linux community. Not to mention an abuse
> of Linus's trademark.
>
> Someone asked me for an advocacy site, and off the top of my head
> I provided some URL's. The above one was obviously wrong as it
> is NOT an advocacy site, but nothing more than a domain squatter
> redirecting pages to a site that has completely nothing to do
> with Linux advocacy.
>
> I'm VERY PISSED about this. Someone out there could make a very
> decent Linux advocacy site, and that is the ideal name for
> it. Instead, some ASSHOLE has SWALLOWED the damned domain.
>
> Can someone do something about this? I know if I had registered
> "intel.com" before Intel did, that my ass would be in a
> sling. Why is it not the same the other way around?
>
> All I can say is "time to bring out Guido, the big mean penguin
> with the gold tooth and baseball bat".
>
> TTYL
>
> --
> Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
> Computer Consultant GNU advocate
> Capslock Consulting Open Source advocate
>
> Try out Red Hat Linux today: http://www.redhat.com
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-6.2/
>
> -

Ben McCann Indus River Networks
31 Nagog Park
Acton, MA, 01720
email: bmccann@indusriver.com web: www.indusriver.com
phone: (978) 266-8140 fax: (978) 266-8111