    SubjectRe: Location of shmfs; devfs automagics
    Alexander Viro writes:

    > > > Also, perhaps devfs could mount on /dev even if /dev is missing?
    > >
    > > And perhaps it should format your hard disk, download a distribution and
    > > configure it if / isnt mountable ?
    >
    > OK, since I did a lot of wading through the mount-related code lately, let
    > me add a couple of things:
    > a) fixed *WHAM* pathnames *WHAM* are fucking evil *WHAM*
    > b) there is no real need to mount shmfs to get the things working.
    > Provable: I've done that.
    > c) the whole concept of monolytic devfs is a bullshit, excusable
    > only because we lack union-mounts. As soon as they are in the devfs will
    > be heading out. There _is_ a point in a driver providing a tiny filesystem

    Will it now? Is that what Linus thinks, too? I'm sure he had a good
    reason to include devfs. Even once we have union mounts, devfs will
    still be useful.

    > with right set of devices and user union-mounting it on /dev,
    > /dev/tape, /dev/hamster/duct/tape, whatever. But 'register a set of stuff
    > into the devfs' thing is a bad design.
    > d) funny as it sounds, in-kernel template for root is not a bad
    > thing. Provided the presense of union-mount, again. It would make for more
    > regular code in initialization sequence.
    > e) yes, Richard, we all know that you've got your own vision of
    > the way things should be done. That's OK, just don't inflict it on those
    > who don't want it, will you? Oh, and search on the net for "Mr. Bill's
    > DEC-20".

    Now, Al, was there some point to all this abuse? If you had a point to
    make, it would have been easier to grok it if there was more substance
    and less ranting.

    Regards,

    Richard....
    Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
    Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:5.219 / U:0.040 seconds]