SubjectRe: What /proc should contain [was: /proc/driver/microcode]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > Any reason that this file could not be replaced with
> > rtc/rtc_time
> > rtc/rtc_date
> > rtc/rtc_epoch
> > etc...
> > sysctl entries? Or one fat "rtc" entry" that has the
> > whole current file?
> >

> /proc/sys/dev/rtc/{time,date,epoch,...} probably would be better,
> although sometimes with changing devices one have to consider the
> issue of atomicity; sometimes one *have* to be able to perform complex
> operations atomically. IMNSHO that's what /dev/rtc is for.
>
> I personally think the strict formatting of sysctl() is a good thing,
> although I do have to agree 10000% with Linus that sysctl() should be
> entirely string-based.

You can take it further: Permits reads of /proc/rtc even though it is a
directory.

All directories would relay a strictly standard string format of their
contents, which is actually very straightforward. In this case, cat
/proc/rtc would show:

time: \t<contents of /proc/rtc/time>
date: \t<contents of /proc/rtc/date>
epoch: \t<contents of /proc/rtc/epoch>

The number of spaces before the \t (tab) is any number from zero up, for
pretty alignment. The tab then unambiguously introduces the next
field.

You get the idea. Some variation on that that's unambiguously parseable
and easy to construct from the individual entries.

Things like /proc/cpuinfo would suddenly look all neat and tidy, be
consistent, and you could read specific things of interest by reading,
e.g., /proc/cpuinfo/features.

enjoy,
-- Jamie

As for the sysctl() system call, I would