SubjectAdvanced Linux Kernel/Enterprise Linux Kernel
This subject came up in the Generalized Kernel Hooks Interface thread, since it
is an area of interest to me I wanted to continue that conversation.

While I do not think it would be productive to enter a discussion whether there
is a need to fork the kernel to add features that would be beneficial to
mission/business critical applications, I am curious as to what are the features
that people consider important to have. By mission critical I mean systems that
if not functional bring a business to a halt, while by business critical I mean
systems that affect a division of a business.

Another problem is how people define Enterprise Systems. Many base it on the
definitions that go back to S390 systems, others in the context of the 24/7
nature of the internet. That would also be a healthy discussion to have.

At Oracle we are primarily interested on I/O subsystem features and memory
management. (For anyone that knows anything about Oracle this should not come
as a surprise, although I am pretty sure that any database vendor/developer
would be interested on those features as well.)

Regards,

Josue Emmanuel Amaro Josue.Amaro@oracle.com
Linux Products Manager
Intel and Linux Technologies Group

begin:vcard
n:Amaro;Josue Emmanuel
tel;cell:650-245-5131
tel;fax:650-413-0167
tel;work:650-506-1239
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.oracle.com
org:Intel and Linux Technologies
version:2.1
email;internet:Josue.Amaro@oracle.com
title:Sr.Product Manager - Linux
adr;quoted-printable:;;500 Oracle Parkway=0D=0AMS1ip4;Redwood Shores;CA;94065;United States
fn:Josue Emmanuel Amaro
end:vcard

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.186 / U:0.476 seconds]