SubjectRe: possible spinlock optimizations
Hello, world!\n

> But, Ingo, are we going to add udelay(5000) into slow path to make
> sure some abstract guy has motivation? Should we add udelay(5000) into
> select() in order to make people use poll()?
>
> Certainly not.
>
> I think that our slow path should be optimized, too. No need to talk
> about abstract bugs. No matter how finegrained our locks are, under
> some workload they still will content, and that's why it is good to
> optimize it, too.

If the contention is high, lock optimizations won't save us. If it's
low, lock optimizations might be just unnecessary complexity. KISS rule.

Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@ucw.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"I love complete delivery - with the screwdriver."