    SubjectRe: Partition Sizing
    On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 11:08:04AM +1000, Richard Gooch wrote:

    > > AFA /tmp is concerned, don't some OS's, like Solaris I believe, "mount"
    > > /tmp as a memory filesystem? What would be the benefits/problems with
    > > doing this in Linux (assuming that new memory filesystem that was just
    > > announced get stable/is a good idea)?
    > Slowass 2 has a tmpfs because their UFS implementation is dog slow. So
    > they had to do hack up tmpfs to give them a faster /tmp.

    So, educate me please: why don't you install all of Solaris on a tmpfs
    partition, if it's faster? ;)

    > With Linux extfs, it runs as fast as Solaris tmpfs, so there doesn't seem
    > much point in a tmpfs implemtation for Linux. If you really want a
    > memory-based FS, you may as well just put an ext2fs in a ramdisc.

    is anyone working on caching metadata, so that deleting a half year old
    kernel source tree that has been patched twenty times and compiled at least
    fifty, doesn't take over a minute on a SCSI harddisk? ;)

    Or did I misunderstand something?

    --
    _ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de

    Anyone comfortable with using Linux shall use it. | "I'm afraid Linux has a
    Anyone wanting to tell other people what they | year-429496 problem"