SubjectRe: UPS's
Date
Mike A. Harris said ...

> On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Joe wrote:
>
> >I have also been informed that UPS's by APC for around $200 will
> >do what I want.. so that will be the next addition.. thanks
> >all..
>
> Get a "Best Power UPS" instead. They are higher quality IMHO,
> cheaper, and they directly support Linux, and give out source
> code. APCC does NOT support Linux, does not give out source
> code, and have been rather careless with respect to the Linux
> community.

That's interesting. I've always found that Best UPSs were more expensive
than equivalent APC UPSs. APC's Tech Support was very nice in attitude.
They didn't support Linux directly, it's true, but they guy did give me
web URLs for the code Andre was working on (Thanks Andre!).

> I have an APC SmartUPS 600, and it is not working. It lasted
> about 6 months. It died 2 days before Andre Hedrick released his
> GPL'd APC power software.

I've had my SmartUPS Net-700 for over 2 years without any problems.
Saved me many a power outage.

> Everyone I talk to recommends Best UPS's over APC anyways. I was
> at both the Best Power, and the APC booths at COMDEX last week,
> and although APC's booth was larger, the people at the Best booth
> were much more polite, and friendly. When I asked them about
> Linux, the Best people were on the ball, and ensured me it worked
> fantastic with Linux, while the response I got from the APC rep
> was "Linux? What is that?"...

I tend to put more stock in to the Tech Support people. They're the ones
who really need to be Linux savy.

> Just some food for thought.

Always good to hear about others experiences.

--
Peter A. Castro (doctor@fruitbat.org) or (pcastro@us.oracle.com)