SubjectRe: RFC: Devices, buses and hotplug
>    Try working in wrongendian 24bit mode for a while Dave, its _horrible_ trying
> to get the byte shifting and flipping right for 3 bytes/pixel packed. Thats
> hard to do efficiently on ppc
>
> No no no, I realize this Alan, surely it's horrible.
>
> But my commentary (and I thought Jes's) was in the light of having the
> hardware transparently handle the endianness for you, be that via
> explicit load/store attributes or special MMU mappings.

The PPC can't cope with this. Thats why brokenfirmware mandates a bigendian
fb - they didnt want to cope either without MMU assist. Most video cards
thus have BE and LE apetures. The S3 I seem to remember also has a magical
autoconverting YUV->RGB apeture or similar too.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.054 / U:0.416 seconds]