    SubjectRe: TCP/PPP bug 2.3.5?
    On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > months ago) throughput between my two boxen on a private ethernet segment
    > > has dropped by a factor of over 100 from almost half a MB to just a few KB
    >
    > half MB is a bit low but ok

    Part of that may be due to the fact the the sending end is a 120 Mhz 5x86
    machine. The motherboard there is about four or five years old.

    > > per second. tcpdump shows only a few packets per second and ifconfig
    > > shows 1 carrier error about every 2 seconds on the tx side and the same
    > > number of frame errors on the rx side. The send queue on the tx side gets
    >
    > framing/carrier errors are consistent with a hardware problem or low level
    > driver problem. The framing is done in hardware, carrier errors are hardware
    > and framing on rx errors are hardware level. What devices are you using for
    > this ?

    One DEC Tulip card in the 5x86 machine and one PCI NE2000 card in 350Mhz
    K6 machine.

    > > filled to capacity and stays there until the transfer is complete. I
    > > think this is a network stack problem and not a hardware problem because
    > > ping -f gets 0% packet loss (one run lost 10 packets out of 60,000). This
    > > only happens with bulk transfer, interactive sessions are perfectly fine.
    >
    > ping -f is a meaningless test, it generates no long back to back frames,
    > and few frames with pessimal ethernet clocking.

    Nate Riffe Duct tape by any other name is just as
    inkblot@geocities.com sticky.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:7.210 / U:0.008 seconds]