    SubjectRe: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)
    Alan Cox wrote:

    > This was Richard's argument. It is true you can do devfs in user space. It
    > is also true (as Richard pointed out) that the user space solution takes
    > about as much unswappable memory, and requires a pile of new kernel files
    > and also as I realised when I had a hack on this it needs select() and the
    > like on /proc files

    I disagree with the claim that it requires a pile of new kernel files.
    It basically means you have started in the wrong end of the problem.
    There is a need for Linux do develop a decent device driver management;
    unfortunately devfs is a hack to patch it rather than tacking the
    admittedly hard problem.

    > You can do it in userspace, but once you are handling swap its on the wrong
    > side of ugly to do so.
    >
    > What gets me is there are people saying khttpd is a good idea, when its
    > reporting lower performance than a user space httpd and who are anti-devfs

    I don't necessarily think it's a good idea, but unlike devfs it isn't an
    all-pervasive thing and wouldn't be running on most -- if any --
    systems. Consequently I don't particularly care one way or the other; I
    can imagine a very small set of machines for which it could make sense.

    Similarly, I don't care if Richard Gooch runs devfs on his machine.
    However, for devfs to make sense, it has to be everywhere, and I do
    object to *that*.

    -hpa

    --
    "The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
    Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with