SubjectRe: 2.2.x fails to boot on SPARC 2 (scsi problems)
* David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com> [05/07/99 11:45] wrote:
> Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 11:19:12 -0700
> From: Max <maxk@chinook.stanford.edu>
>
> I would be very surprised to hear that compiler choice matters.
>
> Believe it or not we had to fix a problem exactly like this in the
> 2.0.x Sparc kernels, in exactly the ESP driver, and exactly because
> egcs was being used as the compiler instead of gcc.
>
> The issue back then, was that egcs would move some memory references
> around (in a legal way, was not a compiler bug) that on slower
> machines would cause a race condition which would confuse the ESP
> driver and make it barf on disks that normally acted correctly.
>
> I am not saying we are certainly hitting the same issue here, but when
> I read your report, bells went off in my head and this is why I
> instantly asked what compiler you were using.

Thanks, I'll try to see if I can get a gcc-compiled kernel to work!
In the meantime, I should probably figure out how to set up a
cross-compiler on my machine instead of asking others with more disk
space to compile the kernel every time. :)

Max

--
The hopeful depend on a world without end
Whatever the hopeless may say

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.024 / U:0.088 seconds]