    SubjectRe: Performance Comparision
    Steve Willer wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Phillip Ezolt wrote:
    >
    > > While that is true for "scientific" analysis, a user who picks up BSD will
    > > see the performance difference, and not care whather it was a result of
    > > compilers, linker, etc.
    >
    > I can tell you that personally, I don't spend that much time compiling. I
    > worry about interactive X speed, database speed, networking speed, and
    > speed running Apache. For these purposes, I certainly wouldn't trust a
    > compile-time test that doesn't make all variables equal except for the OS.

    This is where this benchmark gets in, not in compile time, again has nothing
    to do with it, all the problem begins when HINT (a 9kb executable) is
    running and it tells you how much the hardware can do in intervals of
    time but the point is that in the same machine FreeBSD has a better
    performance than linux, HINT overloads tha machine to its maximum
    running floating point operations and it fill the L1 cache then the L2 cache
    then RAM and then swap, then it finished telling you how much your
    machine do. If somebody though about the poor linux performance in this
    area i think we can achieve a better in unbeatable OS.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:5.950 / U:0.008 seconds]