SubjectRe: The Deadly `ping -f'
> > Then it must be both drivers ... I just tried ne2k-pci and couldn't
> > reproduce the mysterious crashing, so this would hint towards 3c509 and
> > eexpress being broken. BTW, 3c509 does not use 82586, but you probably
> > already knew that.
>
> We are chasing a weird problem with the 3c509 driver and SMP lockups. That
> isnt just you alone. The 82586 problem report is new. Probably nobody else
> has used that configuration

I never realized it until now... I have a machine at work with both a 3c509
and a 3c905 card on a tyan dual proc pentium board with 2 233mmx procs.
Yesterday, it locked up on me solid when untarring a 200mb archive over the
network (client was reading the tar file and storing it on the local disk).
I didn't think anything about it until now. The file was going over the
3c509 card. I would post any more information that I can, but the machine
was in X at the time and nothing was written to syslog.

Does the sysrq work when in X and I receive a lockup? (what are all the
keys, point me to a file/url).

The machine above is running 2.2.3 kernel (no extra patches made)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.044 / U:0.908 seconds]