    Subject2.2.5 optimizations for web benchmarks?

    Hello,

    I'd like some help with optimizing linux (and apache)
    for a web benchmark. I understand many of the tunables
    in /proc/sys, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something
    crucial.

    Assuming fast hardware, with lots of RAM (ranging from
    512MB - 2GB), and with/without RAID (software), and a
    fast network (yellowfin or eepro100), and ext2fs.

    During 2.2.5 Compilation:
    What should I change at 2.2.5 compile time? I'm
    especially curious if increasing the initial tcp cwnd
    to min (4380, 4*MSS) as suggested by IETF/tcpimpl would
    make a difference in faster ramp-up for broken clients,
    as well as with the lot's of short lived http1.0
    connections of the benchmark (I presume I'd have to
    change both snd_cwnd and snd_cwnd_cnt)

    Will I get any benefit from changing the tunables in eepro100.c and
    yellowfin.c ?

    During Run time:
    I'm looking mainly at /proc/sys/vm and /proc/sys/fs/
    (besides /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range)

    Does anyone have any empirical ideas about
    _specific_ values that would work well for:
    inode-max
    bdflush
    buffermem
    freepages
    kswapd
    pagecache
    Any other I'm missing ?

    On the application:
    I'm using many of the common apache 1.4.3
    optimizations. Is there anything I can do to improve
    SMP performance, to help the built in affinity-scheme
    of linux?

    The benchmark itself is specweb96, so the files are
    distributed over a large range of sizes. I expect to
    see 10K-20K simultaneous active connections.

    Thanks for any comments !