    SubjectRe: Linux/IA-64 byte order
       Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 20:06:36 -0500 (EST)
    From: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>

    Instead, you should make a rule based upon performance (like
    network communication).

    As stated in my other posting, in the realm of IP protocols at least,
    there is no issue, there is no performance penalty, it's all in the
    noise with todays cpu speeds and how we've cleverly minimized the byte
    swapping as much as possible in our stack.

    As for the display etc. device argument, this is nonsense too. I talk
    to little endian video cards, little endian ide controllers, etc. on
    my big-endian mode cpu every day and it goes at hardware speeds.

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davem@redhat.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:3.743 / U:0.016 seconds]