    SubjectRe: Parition Slices ( waqs Re: OFFTOPIC: New MBR and partitioning standard? )
    Richard Gooch writes:

    ->> I did took there a brief look, and I see something like:
    ->>
    ->> | /dev/hda /dev/ide/hd/c0b0t0u0
    ->> | /dev/hdb /dev/ide/hd/c0b0t1u0
    ->>
    ->> But I still don't see how does it make sure that it does the "Right Thing"
    ->> and that the /dev/hdaX won't get renamed to some other id when there
    ->> appears a new parition/slice.
    ->
    ->The intent with devfs is to append "s#" for BSD slice numbers to solve
    ->this problem. The normal (primary&extended) partitions use "p#" (with
    ->the existing partition number scheme). So in the end, you could have
    ->"c#b#t#u#p#s#".

    You seem to be suggesting to use the same ID for primary and extended
    paritions.

    I'm kind of afraid that this approch could cause the "ID"s to jump if I
    slightly modify layout of the disk, am I wrong?

    Say I have :

    primary 1 p1
    primary 2 p2
    extended
    ext 1 p4
    ext 2 p5
    primary 4 p3

    Now I say that I delete the extended partition and replace it with a
    primary one to :

    primary 1 p1
    primary 2 p2
    primary 3 p3
    primary 4 p4

    I think in the above scheme the ID for primary 4 will jump even if the
    partition itself does no change. It will go from p3 to p4! It is exactly
    the thing I want to avoid.

    I think ideally the primary partitions and extended sup-partitions should
    use separate ID's. I think the extended sup-partitions could be equivalent
    to bsd slices which can be placed inside of primary partition too.

    Adam

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:4.530 / U:0.008 seconds]