SubjectRe: Netscape
> The problem with SAK-K under X is that it trashes the text mode. As I've
> got a laptop, restoring text mode isn't trivial.
I have a tower case and cannot restore textmode as well.
"savetextmode" is not sufficient for my ATI Mach64 and X sucks several times:
1.) only the kernel should control hardware devices
this is now beeing fixed with GGI
2.) the current textmode is only saved in memory when X starts
seems the makers of XFree86 didn't expect their servers to crash...
3.) the X server would be able to set the hardware to a sane default textmode
again the developers didn't expect it to crash and omitted this functionality

> 3 The kernel should detect that an application causes more than what is
> reasonable in swapping and kil that application.
This happens as soon as there is no more memory available. But you may want to use ulimit to let it happen before.

Tom