SubjectRe: Hard lockup in 2.2.{2,3}
On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, T Taneli Vahakangas wrote:

> The only thing I noticed was just before 2.2.3 crashed, I ran "display"
> for a bunch pictures. In the middle of the viewing session it spat a bunch
> of "out of memory" -type messages on the xterm it was running from and
> then everything was at a halt. After the crash "display" worked all right
> and I was able to view all the pictures, so this isn't (easily)
> reproducible.

Yesterday I got a whole slew of these on a Debian box running 2.2.3 in my
exim paniclog:

1999-03-13 02:05:37 10LlGe-0002Ls-00 == <someaddr>@home.com T=smtp defer
(-1): fork failed for remote delivery to home.com: Out of memory

The system has 80MB of RAM and about 120MB of swap. I have never seen this
before on this system. I have the mailer limited in the number of
processes it will spawn (5). This WAS during a period when the output of a
periodic maling list was dumped on her but she has always handled it with
grace in the past. This was her first stress test under 2.2.x.

No X, no users, no other processes running. Exim is limited to 5 queue
runners with 6 parallel deliveries each. System load was not high enough
to cause the queue-runners to abort (that is set at 8).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.064 / U:0.044 seconds]