SubjectRe: Ok, making ready for pre-2.4 and code-freeze..
Date
In article <3857E919.6285AEF9@ife.ee.ethz.ch>,
Thomas Sailer <sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch> wrote:
>Martin Mares wrote:
>
>> Several drivers (at least sonicvibes.c) try to assign resources themselves,
>> which is not going to work.
>
>Eh why not? Last time I checked it worked.

It works fine, IF you follow the rules, and if you know where everything
else in the system is.

If you don't, it will work most of the time simply because the PCI
resources are usually fairly sparse, but it WILL break on some machines,
in ways that you have no clue about and that will be very hard indeed to
reproduce and subtle.

>Any suggestion?

The PCI code does have helper functions to allocate a resource for you.
They should do their best to do the RightThing(tm).

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.141 / U:0.980 seconds]