    SubjectRe: Bottom halves.
    On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Rogier Wolff wrote:

    > > > The comment at the top states:
    > > >
    > > > * do_bottom_half() runs at normal kernel priority: all interrupts
    > > > * enabled. do_bottom_half() is atomic with respect to itself: a
    > > > * bottom_half handler need not be re-entrant.

    Speaking of bottom halves, I am thinking about a peculiar idea I'd like to
    experiment with and am wondering if anyone's fooled around with it already.
    That is, to make the entire bottom-half routine preemptible by moving the
    do_bottom_half functionality into a kernel thread. The reason is to allow
    greater overall system performance under high softirq-time load, such as
    high-speed packet-filtering. Performance of that stuff in turn would
    suffer to some undetermined degree.

    Any caveats I would need to watch for?

    -bp
    --