SubjectRe: PR draft final-6 comments
Nathan Myers <ncm@cantrip.org> wrote:
>Kyle Rose wrote:
> > SANTA CLARA, C.A. -- Today Linus Torvalds, the primary developer and
> > coordinator of the Linux kernel team, releases a major new version of the
> ^^^^^^^^
> I disagree with Albert on this one: it should be "released". We're
> not announcing a projected event, but an achieved one. Announcements
> of expected future events are routinely round-filed.

Press releases for products almost universally use the past tense to announce
availability -- Nathan is correct, it should be "released".

The reason behind this is, the whole point of a press release is to tell the
world that something has happened; it is irrelevent whether it has occurred
at the time of writing, but must certainly have occurred by the time of
'printing'. That's the whole point of a release.

Charles