SubjectRe: pre 2.1.92-1 swap, and sound driver issue
Date
> I'm trying to write a digital audio driver module for my Turtle Beach
> Multisound Pinnacle to work with OSS/Free which does not support it,
> however I'm running to a problem. OSS/Free seems designed to
> _require_ an audio device to be using DMA (see
> drivers/sound/audio.c:79 for instance).

It doesn't require DMA, it just requires the illusion thereof. If your
start DMA routine happens to be a memcpy and your DMA completion irq
is the card posting you back a 'played this bit' IRQ then so be it.

> the ability to use audio devices that use the sound_install_audiodrv
> call which do not use a DMA channel, but say a custom method of data

Just teach it -1 means none if you want.

> transfer? Or is it best to write a completely separate driver (like
> Markus Mummert's Linux 1.2 driver for older Multisound cards)? Since

It may well be. Talk to Thomas Sailer, his AudioPCI driver is standalone
to the OSS core, and I really want to split OSS at the very entry points
so OSS and non OSS drivers share properly. (ie you can have an OSS Sb16,
and OPL3, a non OSS interwave (ultrasound) and the AudioPCI all loaded
at one if you wish.

> I know 4Front continues to work on OSS I don't want to waste my time
> trying to modify OSS/Free for this purpose for no real reason.

Project "eliminate most of OSS" is part of what I am working on. Its too
bulky, too poorly structured and has some bad design decisions (basically
its showing its age). Im trying to do this as an evolutionary process however.

> compatibility with OSS, and advanced ioctl calls which can be used to
> access the 56002 on the board, as well as the experience.

For a DSP56K interface see the dsp56k interface for the m68k machines that have
one. Theres sort of an existing API.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.025 / U:0.176 seconds]