SubjectRe: 2.0.33 bzImage booting errors
Hans Lermen <lermen@elserv.ffm.fgan.de> writes:

> On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Edward R. Hartmann wrote:
>
> > Iv come upon a rather interesting error... Whenever I compile my kernel
> > as bz rather than z, upon rebooting, the system will say "Loading linux"
> > as normal, then about a quarter second later, the system preforms a hard
> > reboot. (counts up memory, verify's disks, etc.)

> Looks like the A20 cache coherency problem on some (seldom used) broken
> harware. This is known, but a (generaly) suitable workaround for
> those broken hardware has not yet been found.
> ( though there are patches for _some_ few of them, maybe they are at
> linuxhq )

I don't know about "seldom used" - I use mine quite a bit. :)

There are quite a few older laptops with this problem, the Dell Xpi
and the "tecra" (don't know the manufacturer) being two examples.

I started a discussion about this on the list a few months ago, but
nothing came out of it. I personally use GRUB, which boots bzimage
kernels just fine on my XPi.

(If I remember right, you were one of the people I was talking with.)

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.062 / U:1.564 seconds]