SubjectRE: K6-2CTX MTRR's...
John Michael Clemens writes:

> --------Some else wrote :
> I set this up with an Elsa VICTORY II (Banshee, AGP, 16 MB SGRAM) and
> got nearly 2.5 times for 2D graphics operation and a huge bus transfer
> speedup!!! It offers the same as the Pentium II does.
>
> K6,K6/2,K6/2cxt-Utility, Andreas Stiller, c't V 1.1, Nov 98
> Syntax: SetK6 /on .. set WA for all memory (found: 128
> MByte)
> Syntax: SetK6 .. w/o parameter:displays actual configuration
> /on:Memorysize .. enable write allocation for memory [in
> MByte]
> /off .. disable write allocation
> SetK6 /M0:LFB,Size[,attr] Write combining for primary LFB
> SetK6 /M1:LFB2,Size[,attr] Write combining for second. LFB
>
> CPUID : Typ=00 Fam=05 Mod=08 Step=0C
> Processor Name : AMD K6-2CXT Step 12, 401 MHz
> PCI Framebuffers : 1. E8000000, 2. EC000000
> ------

I've not seen this message before. Good to see the non-Intel chips are
up there too with MTRR-like support.

> ironic that this would come out earlier today before i posted my question
> <g>, because i only get the digest and didn't know someone had asked..
> Yes, here are all the processors that now support "MTRR's", i did a little
> digging, and...:
>
> Pentium II/Pro : 8? MTRR registers
> AMD K6-2CTX/K6-3 : 2 MTRR registers
> Cyrix 6x86MX/M2 : 8 ARR (Address Range Registers)
> Centaur/IDT Winchip : 8 MCR (Memory Control Registers)
>
> Richard Gooch wrote and maintains the official P2/PPro MTRR code in the
> kernel...i've written him because once i write working code for the
> Winchip, i'll gladly expand his interface to transparently cover all 4
> chips..the problem being that i won't havea K6-2 and a cyrix to test them
> out on...i've downloaded all the spec sheets for all 3 processors, so w'll
> have to see...

See my other message: I've got this on the books for 2.3, including
patches for IBM/Cyrix.

> the important thing is getting it to merge with the existing MTRR
> interface, so that there's a consistant interface to access all
> four. i don't see this making it into official 2.2 thouygh...maybe
> an unofficial patch though, or modules...

I'll be releasing patches against 2.3 for testing (which will also
probably patch against 2.2), once 2.3 is out. Once I'm happy with the
robustness of the patch, I'll submit it to Linus for 2.2 and 2.3.
I can't see Linus accepting anything like this prior to 2.2,
though. We need to get 2.2 out the door.

Regards,

Richard....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.023 / U:0.572 seconds]