    SubjectRe: Not a bible thumper. . .

    Ok, we've had enough discussion about the swear-words in the kernel,
    here's my say:

    a) Messages seen by users should be "nice", so the "Fucking sun blows me"
    message should go, but I'll wait for patches from the _maintainers_ of
    that piece of code first, because:

    b) I _really_ hate "politically correct". I don't mean I find it mildly
    disconcerting, I mean I _really_ dislike it. I find politically correct stuff
    so tasteless that I'd rather shake hands with a whore with AIDS (yes, that
    _was_ meant to be politically incorrect) than one of the "bible thumpers" (*).

    (*) I'm not knocking religion, I'm knocking small-minded people who use
    religion or any other "moral reason" to get involved in things they don't
    really have anything to do with. If it doesn't hurt anybody else, it's
    nobodys business what people do.

    In short, in the _occasional_ comment it's perfectly ok to say "Fucking Sun
    blows me", because that may actually tell something of the state of mind of
    the person when he wrote that special case.. And let's be honest, writing
    code is not all about "specifications", and comments aren't just "technical
    explanations".

    Now, I have to admit that the profanities seem to show up a lot more in the
    sparc code than in the rest of the kernel, and Davem might want to clean some
    of that up, but because I hate politically correct so much I will _not_
    accept patches from others that just change this kind of stuff.

    The reason the active kernel messages should be nice is that while I hate
    politically correct, I do not believe in being actively offensive either
    except when I _want_ to offend somebody. And there is no point in offending
    the occasional user.

    In contrast, anybody who gets offended by a kernel comment that says bad
    things about Sun is either a sun employee who was part of the team who did
    the f*ck-up (in which case it's ok to offend him ;), OR he is getting
    offended for no good reason. People _do_ f*ck up, and it's ok to point that
    out.

    Linus "Better offended than bored" Torvalds

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:4.522 / U:0.116 seconds]