SubjectRe: Last weeks QuickPoll
David W. Schuler enscribed thusly:

> On Mon, 15 Jul 1996 08:30:36 EDT kday wrote:
> >
> >Last week the following question was posed on your Quick Poll:
> > Will Linux ever be given fair consideration alongside commercial
> > OSes on the desktop.
> >
> >Your summary said that the majority said yes, but the stats shown
> >were 47% yes, 53% no.
> >
> >Am I misreading this?
>
> Unfortunately, you probably are not misreading this. I think that the
> question, in the manner in which it was asked, was fairly answered. The
> question should have been asked as a two-part question:

No... They (InforWorld) screwed up. The "47% yes, 53% no" icon was
from last week's question. Obviously, if 47% said yes and 53% said no -
that would contradict saying the majority saying yes. They just screwed up
the page and left the old icon there. I remember seeing those exact results
for last week's question (something about Microsoft displacing Netscape
Navigator). I'm a believer in coincidence as much as the next guy but
figure Murphy's law and human stupidity had more to do with this...

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | mhw@WittsEnd.com
(The Mad Wizard) | (770) 925-8248 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.037 / U:0.260 seconds]