SubjectModule/Driver layers (Was: sound volume and kerneld)
Why don't we break the modules/driver things into two layers?
For things like sound drivers and lp drivers (which is my pet peeve with
the module systems....I hate my printer re-initializing everytime I print
a page), they can be broken into two parts (same for SCSI, serial ports,
ethernet cards, etc).

The first paart would be a hardware layer. It would do nothing but
sit on a device (say a parallel port) and remember things, like the
status bits for the various lines or the sound levels on a sound card or
the IRQ/IO address and packet counts for ethernet cards. This would
remain in the kernel.

Then you could have the specific drivers/modules load and unload as
needed? All of these devices have identical/nearly identical sets of
resources, right? Or is that something that just doesn't happen on intel
platforms?

Christian G. Holtje (aka Doctor What)

---
--- --- --- - - - - --- ----- docwhat@itek.net
+ - + - + + + - + - + - CS major at Illinois
**** *** *** ** ** * * * * * docwhat@itek.net
also: http://www.itke.net/~docwhat

Q: Why would the government want to get rid of PBS?
A: Fifteen more minutes of Pentagon running time.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:4.069 / U:0.548 seconds]