SubjectRe: Module-Related Kernel Messages
Date
Paul Matthews <paul@matthews.com> wrote:
> Could you offer a helpful suggestion? I am getting these
> module-related messages in the syslog and at boot up.
>
> 1. In syslog:
>
> Mar 26 17:18:31 gw1 diald[127]: Running pppd (pid = 2582).
> Mar 26 18:16:05 gw1 modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4
> Mar 26 18:16:06 gw1 modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-3
> Mar 26 18:16:06 gw1 modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5

It just means that one hour after you started pppd, something tried
to open sockets with protocol families AF_AX25, AF_IPX and AF_APPLETALK.
Since you didn't have any aliases in /etc/conf.module that resolved
these into the respective protocol modules, modprobe told you so.

As of today, only IPX and APPLETALK are modularized, so you would
have seen at least one of these messages even if you had selected
these protocols as modules at 'make config'.

Anyway, these messages are harmless, and you can remoce them from
your syslog by adding the following lines to /etc/conf.modules:

alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off
alias net-pf-6 off

These lines makes modprobe ignore any requests to load these modules.

> 2. At bootup I get several major number not found messages, I
> think 11, 15, 23, 24, and 25.

Something, probably mount, is looking for cdroms and kerneld is trying
to load cdrom driver modules. Look in "linux/Documentation/devices.txt"
for a conversion list between major numbers and devices.
Most of the "fixed" ones are known by (later versions of) modprobe,
so you shouldn't have to add any extra "alaias" lines to "conf.modules".
For a recent version of modprobe, look at my web-page.

On the other hand, you might want to look at your "/etc/fstab" and
delete any lines that refer to cdroms that you don't have.

As above, these messages are harmless.

Greetings,

Bjorn <bj0rn@blox.se> <http://www.pi.se/blox/>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.041 / U:0.504 seconds]