SubjectRe: Union file system

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Paul Slootman wrote:

> When I tried Yggdrasil's stuff a couple of years back, that distribution
> has something called IFS ("Werner's Inherited File System", IIRC). This
> was used in a configuration where you chose to leave most of the stuff
> on de CDROM, and your filesystem got mounted over that. You could change
> files, and those files would be copied to and updated on your filesystem.
>
> I recall that it worked quite well. Anyone know why it didn't get into
> the mainstream kernel?

The docs say that it still has some known bugs. at least the copy on
tsx-11. It seems no one knows it exists, so if it gets to be a bit more
well used I'm sure someone would get upset enough to actually fix it.

Greg Alexander
http://www.cia-g.com/~sietch/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.120 / U:0.236 seconds]