SubjectRe: Safety of opening up /dev/dma_heap/* to physically present users (udev uaccess tag) ?
On Wed, May 08, 2024 at 10:36:08AM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Tue, May 07, 2024 at 04:07:39PM -0400, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
> > Le mardi 07 mai 2024 à 21:36 +0300, Laurent Pinchart a écrit :
> > > Shorter term, we have a problem to solve, and the best option we have
> > > found so far is to rely on dma-buf heaps as a backend for the frame
> > > buffer allocatro helper in libcamera for the use case described above.
> > > This won't work in 100% of the cases, clearly. It's a stop-gap measure
> > > until we can do better.
> >
> > Considering the security concerned raised on this thread with dmabuf heap
> > allocation not be restricted by quotas, you'd get what you want quickly with
> > memfd + udmabuf instead (which is accounted already).
> >
> > It was raised that distro don't enable udmabuf, but as stated there by Hans, in
> > any cases distro needs to take action to make the softISP works. This
> > alternative is easy and does not interfere in anyway with your future plan or
> > the libcamera API. You could even have both dmabuf heap (for Raspbian) and the
> > safer memfd+udmabuf for the distro with security concerns.
> >
> > And for the long term plan, we can certainly get closer by fixing that issue
> > with accounting. This issue also applied to v4l2 io-ops, so it would be nice to
> > find common set of helpers to fix these exporters.
>
> Yeah if this is just for softisp, then memfd + udmabuf is also what I was
> about to suggest. Not just as a stopgap, but as the real official thing.

Long term I still want a centralized memory allocator, at which point
libcamera should stop allocating buffers at all.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart

  Last update: 2024-05-08 23:51    [W:0.112 / U:0.100 seconds]