    SubjectRe: 2.6.16.32 stuck in generic_file_aio_write()

    > I thought it was, but from my look through yout 8-billion-task backtrace,
    > no task was stuck in D-state with the appropriate call trace.

    I was afraid of that... Where is the lock on the i_mutex suppose
    to be released ? I can't grasp the codepath from within an interrupt back
    to the fs layer.

    > So I don't know what's causing this. In the first trace you have at least
    > four D-state kjournalds and a lot of processes stuck on an i_mutex. I
    > guess it's consistent with an IO system which is losing completion
    > interrupts. AFAICT in the second trace all you have is a lot of processes
    > stuck on i_mutex for no obvious reason - I don't know why that would
    > happen.

    Is there any way to see if it is missing interrupts ? Enabling the
    debugging in the areca driver isn't a good idea on this machine, it's a
    heavely IO loaded machine, and the problem seems to take some time to occur.

    I *does* happen less often with a 2.6.19 kernel however.

    The task dump takes > 10 seconds, which causes the softlock detector to
    trigger. Is there any objection to a patch which disables the lockup
    detector during the dump ? It isn't a big issue, since al it does is dump
    a stacktrace.

    I've enabled most debugging now, I'll see of i can run both a disk and VM
    stresstest.

    I'll put a .config and a dmesg of the machine booting at
    http://www.jdi-ict.nl/plain/ for those who want to look at it.

    Regards,

    Igmar

      Last update: 2006-12-07 11:01    [W:6.755 / U:0.300 seconds]