SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.20-rc1
Alan wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:50:14 -0500
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:
>
>> Did I miss an alternate method of handling ftape devices, or are these
>> old beasts now unsupported? I occasionally have to be able to handle
>> that media, since the industrial device using ftape for control updates
>> cost more than a small house.
>>

> Do you have hardware and the time to at least test cleanups ?
>

>> I can obviously keep an old slow machine to do the job, but I'd like to
>> know if I need to.
>>

> The assumption was that since in 2.6 it was so ancient and unloved that
> nobody had even seen an ftape device this century. If it is still being
> used and you can test cleanups then the removal should be reverted

As much as I have in the past supported keeping useful features in the
kernel, this one can go from 2.6 as far as I'm concerned. I would hate
to see anyone spend any time maintaining something which is so little
used. I can easily move the hardware to a 2.4 machine, or something
running an early 2.6.

I think "ancient and unloved" is an apt description.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc